Poor SallyAs listeners of this week’s podcast will know, a day after returning from my girls-only weekend, I destroyed my sense of calm and tranquility when I ran my Chevrolet Equinox into the side of a utility truck. The truck was fine. The driver was fine.

Sally and I are not so fine.

A week and a half later, Sally is still “at the hospital” where they are repairing the damage done during the accident, and I’m driving around in a rental car, thinking about all the things I miss.

I really miss “my” car. I miss the feel of her gas pedal, the seat adjusted just for me, my favorites programmed into the radio, and knowing where all the buttons and switches are. I miss having her waiting, started and warm, in the parking lot to take me home. I miss my seat heaters, back up camera, bluetooth, and asking Sally to “call home” or “call Erin Kane mobile.”

I miss the confidence I had before the crash. I’m driving too slowly, taking too long at intersections and cringing every time a vehicle turns in front of me. For a couple of days I tried to just make right turns – because I ran into the utility truck while turning left into traffic. Someone told me I would be the “best driver” for the next several months – I actually think my driving is the worst it has ever been. I’m driving like I’m 16 again, and it’s not pretty.

On my first long drive since the accident, traveling the rural roads of Massachusetts, I found myself missing something else – OnStar. Before my accident, I hadn’t given the service much consideration. I had asked for directions. Found a local Starbucks. And considered “what else” I could ask the OnStar person.

But then I had my accident, and before I had fully processed what had happened, a woman from OnStar was asking if I was okay. As I gazed out the front windshield at the damage I had wrought, and considered how I was going to tell my husband, the OnStar woman was connecting with emergency services, telling them not just what happened but where I was.

Then she asked me if I needed her to call someone. And did I need her to stay on the line with me.

Later, a friend mentioned how lucky I was to have had the accident near the center of town, because what would have happened if I had been somewhere remote. My answer? No problem, OnStar would know.

Which brings me back to my first drive without Sally. In my rental car with nothing but pavement and trees as far as the eye could see, I wondered what would happen if I had an accident. Who would know?

What I’ve learned this week is that my car is more a part of me than I knew. And I’m really looking forward to when she comes home.

8 Responses to Missing my car & OnStar

1. Alane Floyd says:

I totally understand. Your Chevy friends would be glad of your revelation if not the reason. Glad you are safe.

2. Rebecca Harris says:

Your Chevy friends are glad and thankful you are safe and sound! We know Sally has all the safety features we can build into her, and to hear she did what did was suppose to do, which is protect you, makes us proud! We can certainly fix Sally, but the OnStar feature point is a good one, you just never know what’s going to happen and OnStar is a tool in the ‘mommy has to be prepared for anything ‘ toolbox. It really can make the difference between life and death in emergency situations. Thanks for sharing Kristin.
    Rebecca Harris
    General Motors

3. Jen D says:

Kristin, I totally hear you on the “only turn right” thing. Since my DH’s accident (while I was with you in Santa Fe @ the Escape, no less), I refuse to turn left out of our driveway during rush hour. It means taking a right and adding both time and mileage when I go pick up our son, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Wishing you safe travels, and the quick return of Sally.

4. Christine says:

I had my first accident nearly 12 years ago, when my firstborn was a week old. It was a left turn and both cars were totaled. I still avoid left-turns if at all possible. And the “where” feature for OnStar I hadn’t really thought about, but is really awesome. I was hit last year on the interstate – was the lucky filling in a three-car sandwich. I called 911 right away and the operator asked where I was. I’m geographically challenged on the best of days! And while totally shaken up by the wreck, I was useless – “ummm, I’m on I-285…. just past a bridge… Oh, there’s an old car manufacturing place near me”. Luckily someone else was able to give a better description I guess cause help arrived despite me! And I’m still driving soooo cautiously, even though I didn’t do anything wrong! Wait till you get Sally back. I was terrified to drive my car for fear someone else would hit it again.

5. Katrina H. says:

I was glad to read the post, but the not the reason for the post. The day before Christmas Eve, I was rear-ended on the interstate and my car was totaled. I must say that I am quite fortunate that I was not injured any worse, I have back pain now, but it could have been so much worse. But, I miss that car! I feel completely ridiculous when I say it as everyone says “but you are so lucky.” True, but I miss that car. It was our older car, but it was the car that I picked out when pregnant with our first child. Since we were living overseas, we were able to go to pick it up from the factory while taking a tour in Sweden. We brought home all three of our children from the hospital in that car and took countless trips all over Europe. It held so many memories. And, on a practical note, because I had custom ordered it, it had all the features I wanted. The built-in booster seats that I thought sounded fantastic when we first ordered it, but were completely useless for the first 5 years, were finally making it so my husband and I could easily switch out kids or run errands without trading cars. I miss that car so much, but, since it was our older car, we didn’t get nearly enough to come close to replacing it with a car that had all the features we wanted and a known maintenance record. You make me feel like it is okay to miss a car. Everyone says it can be replaced, but it isn’t quite that easy. And, I know exactly what you mean about driving now. I wasn’t at fault in the accident, but I become completely paranoid when anyone gets too close to me on the highway now. When we finally decide to buy a car, we will definitely look at Chevy and OnStar.

I am so glad that Sally kept you safe, but I am so sorry you were involved in an accident.

6. Caitlin says:

I am right there with your feelings. My accident was in October. I had a Chevy cruze with OnStar. After my accident, my driving still isn’t the same. I am cautious turning left and changing lanes to the left. Onstar is a life saver. My car on the other hand was totalled. And I didn’t have gap insurance on my loan, so am not able to get another or fix it totally. Hope you are good, and glad Sally is getting better

7. Michele says:

Kristin, I thought Sally was Steve’s old wagon?

8. Maria says:

I TOTALLY get it about missing your car!