First came Michelle Obama, or FLOTUS as she calls herself on Twitter. Then came a fella blogger on Facebook. Then I read in The New York Times that “the Karlie” or “the Chop” is the haircut of the moment.

karlie

And last week my friend Pat showed up for dinner with–you guessed it–bangs!

Seems everywhere I turn these days I see bangs, bangs and more bangs. I currently have a bad case of what can only be described as bang envy! Bangs hide wrinkles. And when your forehead is large enough to post notes on, bangs can make it looks smaller.

The last time I had bangs was probably 15 years ago, in my late 20s. That’s because bangs are high maintenance, especially for a naturally curly haired gal like me. They require styling and regular trims. They do not look good when it’s snowing or drizzling just enough to be annoying. You can’t just leave the house with a wet head and hope it turns out OK as I do now (I don’t do this in the freezing cold, but when the weather cooperates, you bet).

So deep inside I know I shouldn’t get bangs. I know they wouldn’t look good. I know this, because the other day I combed my hair in front of my face and then pinned it up with a bobby pin, just to get a feel for how bangs might look. “Hey honey,” I called to my husband as I stuck my head out of the bathroom, “I think I might get bangs.”

“Absolutely not,” he said. “That does not look good. I am telling you, Princess (that’s what he calls me when he’s trying to be affectionate) you do not look good right now. DO. NOT. DO. IT!”

How’s that for supportive?

Kind of reminds me of the time I was in 4th grade and my mom got her first perm. She came home all curly haired and I cried. I believe I even said something like, “You are not my mother!” and ran to my room. Nice.

So as much as I would like to get bangs during my haircut and color tomorrow, I know I won’t. My curly hair looks best shoulder length, with long layers. It’s taken me some 25+ years to figure that out so I should just leave well enough alone.

Lest I look like I did in 1991, as my friend recently posted to Facebook. Yep, that’s me, with the big bangs on the far left. Clearly I was adopting the big bang trend of the time. As this picture proves, all the ladies had them. Cue the Milli Vanilli playback and pass the Aqua Net. Girl you know it’s true…ooh ooh ooh…

279283_2148390920540_2942493_o

12 Responses to Big Bang Theory

1. adena says:

look at all that hair! defying gravity!

2. Jen says:

I seriously thought this was a picture someone from high school was posting in my facebook feed…I too, had *the bangs*…

3. Jen says:

and just have to add, I have bangs now, but they are flat ironed daily (the flat irons of the early 90′s didn’t do the trick) and you are right, you cannot wash & roll out the door with them. I also have to trim them every two weeks, that is a mess. I do love how they cover the wrinkles though, and now that I have had them for 8 years I can’t go back.

4. Laura says:

I do have to say that I was

5. Laura says:

I do have to mention that I was 12 in 1991 and I was soooooooo bummed that I couldn’t get my hair to do that! I do have bangs now but I will agree with others that they require a lot of maintenance, and with a long commute I have a hard time maintaining them sometimes.

I guess I was ahead of the trend because I got blunt bangs a couple of years ago. I have gone to longer side-swept because they were a huge PIA. I tried to trim them myself a couple of times and could never do it straight, so I had to go get them trimmed between haircuts which was time and $ I didn’t really want to spend.

I would have been so jealous of your bangs in 1991! I wanted my hair to do that but my hair is so super-straight it wouldn’t tease! In my sorority composite pics I am one of the only ones without giant hair!

7. Kim says:

Wow, that is a lot of hair in one picture! Hey. Can I say I knew you “when”?

8. wendy says:

I had bangs from age 3 until about age 20. Not going back. Takes too long to grow them out when you decide you don’t like them any more. :)

9. Tamara says:

I feel like I have that same photo. Glad it wasn’t just a Jersey thing! Oh, the days of teasing and hairspray…how embarrassing.

10. Kim says:

I did it ! I had bangs cut in to my layered on , why I thought it was a better idea than hi lites I do not know. I figure I have a month before I can push them aside . :(

11. Oz listener says:

Just get your hair straightened every 5 months with the keratin treatments done at the hairdresser. I used to have horribly frizzy hair but I do this now and it is the best thing EVER after never finding anything that works.
    They are expensive and time consuming but the time saved on doing your hair every morning and the reliably straight hair is well worth it!

12. karen says:

Well who didn’t have giant bangs and puffy hair. It was the time. The new bangs are cute and soft.