Boots & DragonsLet’s face it, children have obsessions. Sports jerseys, dragons, video games. But what happens when your child starts to feel like his passion is not “cool” with other kids? Your momma bear instincts kick in and you come into the classroom wearing a dragon t-shirt and wonder woman boots! At least, that’s what you do when you’re Kristin.

This week we chat about how that all went down and after the break, talk about whether listening to an audio book qualifies as “reading.”

Links mentioned: Dungeons & Dragons Men’s T-Shirt | Wonder Woman Officially Licensed Boots | Altus Athletic Altus 55 Cm Earth Ball | Real Simple’s Book Club Checklist | GoodReads.com | The Good Daughter (A Brennan Sisters Novel) | Audible and Amazon introduce programs to sync Kindle and audiobooks | John Carter: Barsoom Series | Starship Troopers

Audible Suggestions: Visit AudibleTrial.com/ManicMommies

Listen: iTunes mp3

14 Responses to Podcast: Raising a Dungeon Master

1. Melissa says:

You’ve done it again, Ladies – you gals ROCK!

This frustrated commuter is suddenly so happy thanks to your link in the podcast show notes about the Whispersync for Voice from Amazon and Audible!

For weeks I’ve been wanting to listen to a book in the car (1.5 hour commute each way) and have it sync to my Kindle app on my tablet so I can pick up where I left off at lunch and in the evening by reading. And now I can do it. Many (many many) thanks to you both for alerting me to this feature!

I’m now an Audible.com member thanks to the Manic Mommies and Whispersync for Voice – yeppie!

2. Paula says:

So funny that you actually put “reading” in quotes. I have a running joke that she “reads” (said with air quotes) because she only uses audio books. Honestly, I’m actually jealous. I can’t listen to audio books, my mind wanders way too much. I wish I could because I’d get a lot more reading done.

3. Debbie in PA says:

So funny that you mentioned Starship Troopers! I have been having a Robert Heinlein marathon on Audible over the past month. I started out with his “boy juvenile novels” (but which have strong women characters thiugh they are sometimes in the background). It is amazing how well he predicted the future in the late 1950s. They were my favorite as a kid and it is interesting to read them again as they certainly inspired my career in science and engineering.

I suggest you might want to try Spider Robonson’s book based on Robert Heinlein’s notes on a proposed book that his publisher rejected. I thought it was quite good. The book is called Variable Star.

Too bad we cannot form that book club! I am now moving to the more senior Heinlein books…..

4. JenM says:

Kudos to Kristen for letting her inner gee out for Anders! If I have kid someday, I want to be that kind of mum! :)

I never really comment, but I *have* to ask, whose Idea was it to play “I Love My Dog More Than I Love You?| Because that was awesome!

5. Gretta says:

Check out your local library for book clubs. Mine does have a Romance Book Club! Titles include “Taming of a Scottish Princess” and “Ravished” and I sooo want to peek in the door and check out the attendees.

6. Katrina H. says:

Thank you so much Erin for defending audiobooks. I have a friend who claims they aren’t real reading, but I would never get through so many books if not for Audible! I love to read, but after I read to all three kids every night, I am exhausted and fall asleep before finishing one page of my book. Thanks to Audible, I can “read” while doing dishes, laundry, etc. And…my son’s elementary school librarian allows him to take AR tests on the audio books to which he listens as we often listen together in the car so it must be real reading. I also enjoyed your discussion on finding/forming a book club as I am trying to find that fit now that I have been in my new location for a year.

Any audio choices these days are because of our fabulous new editor!

8. Katrina H. says:

As a side note, did you know that Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont have what I think is an online SciFi book club called Sword and Laser? You might like that.

Is that what Sword and Laser is?? Clearly I have to check it out.

10. Reba says:

I would totally join your book club. I’m currently finishing Factotum the 3rd book in the Monster Blood Tattoo/ Foundling Tale series. Sadly there are no dragons but there are tons of other magical beasties…. Epic sci-fi fantast is my genre of choice. And also mysteries :D

PS I can regularly be seen in the carpool line rocking a Voltron or Street Fighter tee and wearing a hat with a big dorky pompom on top

11. Jessica says:

Kristin, not only should you check out Sword & Laser, but also Veronica Belmont’s other online book club/podcast which she does with Felicia Day & others, Vaginal Fantasy:

It’s exactly what it sounds like :)

12. Scarlette Chapman says:

Enjoyed listening to your discussion re: Book Clubs. I’m participating in one for the first time and love it. Like you, Erin, I enjoy the exposure to books I would never pick for myself. I’m also excited to hear that Mari will be starting up the book club again. I greatly enjoyed the interviews with the author. Take care ladies and thanks for all you do. I so look forward to your podcasts and and so happy that you’re back to doing them once a week again.

13. Tanesha says:

My reply to anyone who makes the claim that “audiobooks are not really reading” is to say that to a blind person! I’ve been reading audiobooks for many many years and I know that when we have a book club meeting I can give just as much, if not more, commentary on the book, than everyone else who read it in print version, I KNOW that it’s reading. Sheesh!

14. Laura says:

I was listening to this episode in the car tonight with my 4-year-old and after the show opened, he said, “Mama, why does Erin’s dog eat things all the time?” I told him that Erin probably thought that sometimes, too, but reminded him of how he used to chew on things as a toddler. I was very surprised that he was listening so intently to the show :-)