Hello leftovers!

Hello leftovers!

Although I’ve never met her, I have a lot to thank The Pioneer Woman for – specifically, getting my non-cooking mother to bake cinnamon rolls, showing me why creamed spinach may just be heaven on a plate, and most recently,  explaining to me what I was doing wrong when making lasagna.

The first mistake probably being never using a recipe. The next was trying to put too much extra “stuff” between the sheets of pasta – including vegetables. What I’ve learned from this recipe is I can leave the veggies for the side salad.

Or lunch tomorrow.

Billed as “The Best Lasagna Ever” The Pioneer Woman’s take is meaty and tomato-y (?) using some really surprising ingredients including Kraft Parmesan cheese – you know, the stuff in the green canister. It’s easy to make, and can feed a small army, or provide lots of leftovers for lunches. It’s also kid friendly (that being said, I do replace the suggested hot breakfast sausage with sweet Italian breakfast sausage, primarily for the kids).

I should also thank Erin for introducing me to The Pioneer Woman several years ago. Maybe when she visits I’ll make her lasagna, with a side of creamed spinach. And cinnamon rolls.

8 Responses to Lasagna, Pioneer Woman-style

1. Leanna says:

My neighbor just had a baby and I was looking for some other ideas of what to make. This gives me an excuse to double the batch and bring her a pan. But, first, I’ll try my hand at homemade baked macaroni and cheese.

Yum! Let’s set a date. There will be wine, too?

3. Teri K says:

I love the Pioneer Woman! Have you tried her beef stew? The one with the can of beer? It is so good that my raw-vegetables-with-ranch-dip-only children will even eat the cooked carrots and potatoes in the stew!
    And it goes great with a bottle of red!

4. Joline says:

Love the Pioneer Woman! As my New Year’s resolution, I’ve vowed to get back on track with home cooked meals. She and Pinterest are helping me to make it happen. Now you’ve convinced me that I must make the creamed spinach as well. :)

Pioneer woman, Manic Mommies kellie and erin. All reasons Oklahoma is awesome.

6. Patty says:

Guess I have to check her out ! I always thought/heard she was way over the top and the queen of not-so-healthy cooking. Time to go look for myself. :)

Anytime Erin! Of course there will be wine.

Patty – she does have a streak of fat running through her recipes, but I don’t think she’s as over the top as say, Paula Deen.

– K

8. Connie Hicks says:

Have just tried this recipe for the first time and found it easy to cook and assemble and certainly the list of ingredients is not staggering. I am confused though because I have seen this recipe under different web sites and sometimes the directions say 1 lb of spicy sausage and other times it says 1/2 lb. How important is this? Otherwise, I am looking forward to a yummy dinner compliments of The Pioneer Woman.