Oh how Sophie wants a guinea pig. As I’ve said on Twitter and Facebook, I totally blame our friend Heather Jack (or more specifically,  Heather’s daughter) for instilling this guinea pig obsession into my daughter’s 7 year old brain.

Sophie has left notes for Santa:

On her door:

And do you know the way to Guineapia World? Me neither. (Not sure if it’s related to Wikipedia – I’m not asking, because I’m trying not to encourage).

While Santa did not crack under the increased guinea pig pressure – she got a dream house for her Barbies as she requested – the truth is if she keeps this up I could certainly see a critter being introduced into our home sometime in April (her birthday).

Let’s hope she falls in love with something else before then. I’m still voting for the Zuzu pet.

9 Responses to Notes of persuasion

1. Jennifer says:

Ummmm. I have a lot of advice for you if you do go down that road. Most important advice would be “DON’T DO IT”. I know it sounds crazy but if you are going to get her a rodent, get her a rat or a gerbil instead.

2. Rabbits are amazing pets and are much quieter than Guinea pigs.

3. Rhonda says:

We got our boys a guinea pig for Christmas last year, and for the most part he has been a great pet! My only complaint is that the food and supplies get kind of expensive, simply because you go through them pretty quickly. He is not noisy at all, and really only makes noise when he wants to be fed, or when we’re all at the dinner table and he wants some attention. He stays in his cage in the dining area of our kitchen (so we make sure and give him attention!), and the boys have to clean his cage weekly. They feed him, they do all the work. I have had lots of pets, but never a rodent, and he is a fun pet to have! Lots of people have told me that gerbils and hamsters bite a lot, and that guinea pigs are much more friendly. It took Wrigley (his name) a while to warm up to us, but he’s a cute little guy and we all like him a lot! I recommend getting one as a pet, but when you pick one out, get the calmest one in the cage – one that will be more approachable for your kids. Have fun!

4. Lara says:

Hi Kristin,
    Last year I actually found a Guinea Pig in a grassy area near an apartment building in the rain. She might have escaped from her home, but I imagine she was set free. She was skinny and muddy. So sad. Nobody claimed her when I asked around the neighborhood and the shelter took my information with the response of “We don’t get too many lost Guinea Pig notices.” My daughter was thrilled with our new pet when I brought her home. Her name is Daisy and she has grown on us all. She is not skinny anymore. She is very friendly, easy to take care of and she teaches my daughter the responsibility of caring for an animal. She feeds her and cleans her cage most of the time. I never thought I would care to have a Guinea Pig as a pet but she is lovely. Also, she is squeaky when she is hungry or wants attention, but it does not bother us. Good luck deciding whether or not to adopt a GP. They do have them at the Animal Shelters.

5. Liz says:

My daughter (11) was all about getting Guinea Pig this fall, down to the notes on the pillows and all. We “Guinea Pig sat” for a friend’s Guinea Pig for a long weekend. She enjoyed caring for her, talked all about it for about a week then she moved on to a new focus.

Two months later 3 kittens appeared in our backyard (from a stray cat), we found a home for 2 and ended up keeping one…. It turned into a Christmas present and one she is responsible for! We will see how that goes….. Did I mention the 2 dogs and the recently departed 16 year old cat….

6. Rachel says:

Rats are so much easier. They are more interesting and interested in you as well. Guinea Pigs are sort of boring. Trust me, we have had all the pets you can imagine and Rats win out. Plus they don’t smell as much.

Kristin, I predict you will cave on this one. Your little girl needs an animal to call her own, that crabby old cat Claudia just isn’t cutting it. One upshot to the g.pig: they don’t eat nerf footballs.

8. meg says:

“Gonna Get A Hamster” is stuck in my head now:)

9. Karen says:

I am very allergic to guinea pigs, as I found out while pet-sitting for some friends. Try one out for a bit first to make sure no one in your family is also allergic! My daughter got a hamster instead, which was a great pet, and I had gerbils growing up and loved them.