Last night Steve and I watched the trailer for the new movie, This is 40, and both laughed out loud when Paul Rudd (a cyclist and dad) and Leslie Mann (a potty mouthed mom turning 40) discuss why they fight and how she wants to kill him.

Slowly.

With cupcake laced rat poison.

Anyone up for a movie night?

8 Responses to Video: This is familiar

1. Julie says:

I’ve seen trailers for this movie for a couple of months and can’t wait to drag the husband to it! Familiar indeed!

2. Yolanda says:

Steve better watch out! lol! :) It looks like a very funny movie.

Oh, dear….. This is too weird. But I LOVE it and cannot wait to see it :)

4. meredith says:

today,i really do want to kill my husband, so this actually made me cry instead of laugh. but, it probably will be funny and if he lives that long, maybe i’ll take him with me to see it.

5. Amy says:

*sigh* I really don’t want to be Debbie Downer here, but that’s kind of not okay with me. My sister really was murdered, her husband is the only suspect, and he really did get away with it, and he really is collecting the insurance money.

I know it’s meant to be funny, but I think that’s really part of the problem. The fact that we look at something like that and think, “How ridiculous. Of course she doesn’t really want to kill him,” makes it that much harder for people that really are in that kind of danger to get themselves out of it. We as a society laugh it off and think “Oh you’re just being dramatic,” or “Whatever. He was obviously just joking. Where’s your sense of humor?” meanwhile there’s a monster at home planning her demise. (People do say that kind of thing, BTW. When going through my divorce my lawyer said mockingly “Well, unless you think he’s going to murder you in your sleep or something outlandish like that you need to stay in the house with him,” as if it were ridiculous for me to think that.)

People think it is an absolutely absurd notion that your spouse would harbor homicidal intent, but intimate partner homicide is the most common. As the DA said to me “It’s not the lunatic on the street that’s going to kill you. It’s the one you sleep next to every night.”

I’m sorry. I don’t want to spoil everyone’s fun or anything, but it just struck home with me, and I felt like I should continue to raise awareness about it.

@Amy, so sorry for your loss. What an awful thing for you and your family to have to go through. I can’t imagine. Thank you for reminding us that this is a serious issue.

7. Paula says:

Amy, sorry you felt you had to apologize for sharing your pain. I’m so sad for you, and I am wishing you peace.

8. Michelle says:

I did have tragedy in my family too when my cousin was killed by her husband and then he killed himself. It is terrible. Marriage is hard. Death is final. Divorce can be hurtful but this is life.

Movies make light of this and I feel that while it was “in jest” because “real people don’t go that far” — point should be made and maybe proceeds go to the families or shelters or therapy. Make a negative into a positive.