My unofficial result

On a recent episode of one of my favorite podcasts, You Had to be There, you could almost hear guest Rory Scovel and co-host Nikki Glaser roll their eyes as Sara Schaefer shared another story that involved running. Given that Erin had reacted similarly on several of our recent episodes I found the moment Rory said “we get it Sara, you run. You are a runner.” particularly hilarious.

I also understand that many of you may be rolling your eyes as you realize that I’m about to embark on yet another running-related post.

My apologies, but I just can’t help myself. Because today was a great day.

You may not know this, but from 1897 until 1924, the Boston Marathon started not in Hopkinton, but here in Ashland, Massachusetts. Today, a new race and hopefully a new tradition started, the Ashland Half Marathon and 5K. Organized by our redevelopment authority, money raised through the race will be used to improve Marathon Park, which is dedicated to the original start line.

During a run this summer, a client told me that he thought the future of fundraisers was in running races like the Ashland Half Marathon. Unlike other fundraisers, like golf tournaments, fundraising runs are less expensive to run (allowing the charity to keep more of the money they raise); take less time (a few hours instead of all day); allow more people to participate, and bring together a community.

Today I saw exactly what he was talking about.

According to CoolRunning.com, over 700 people gathered to run either the 5K or half marathon. With them came hundreds of family members, friends and neighbors, drawn to Marathon Park on a cold and overcast day to cheer on the runners.

While I didn’t bring my family – Steve was working another race and the kids were happily camped out with a babysitter – I was surrounded by friends and neighbors who cheered me as we ran through town. Waiting at the end for my neighbors to finish the race, I cheered for the many familiar faces coming down the final stretch and over the finish line.

It was a great day to live in Ashland.

Then, a long hot shower and several hours later, I learned my results. Not only had I smashed my previous best time (7:54 min/mi), but I actually finished third in my age group!

My official result!

I’m still a bit stunned by my performance, and don’t expect that every race will go this quickly or well. But I do know two things for sure. . .

I’m addicted to the run.

I’m going to continue to make everyone crazy with my stories that start with “on my last run.”

10 Responses to Addicted to the run

1. Brittany says:

CONGRATULATIONS! I’m a fellow runner (tho not that fast), and can’t wait to meet u at the Escape!!!

2. Melissa says:

Nice! I’ve been doing more running – inspired by Kristin – and I like it. I get to feel really relaxed!

3. Shelly says:

Yay! Nice job! Let’s see what kind of PRs will be set at the Escape 5K!

4. Lisa says:

I’m totally impressed. I’ve been running for 11 years and I’ve never had a 5K time that fast. My fastest, logged as part of a 20-mile marathon training run this spring, was a mere 25:12, an 8:07 pace. I did came in third in that race, but they didn’t do any age group awards. You are fast!!!

Age group awards are awesome. Hopefully you will see many more (and me too!).

Do you have any winter races planned? I signed up for a three-race series (Dec/Jan/Feb) earlier this week when we were having some nice warm days. Then I ran with a friend on Saturday after a cold front came in and thought “what have I done!!” LOL. I’ve run two of the three races in the series, one in 15-degree temperatures, so I’m sure I’ll survive.

Hope everyone stays safe and dry there during the next few days!

5. Helena says:

Super impressed – I remember your first posts on twitter about just working up to running the whole time and now you’re running sub 8s. That’s really great!

6. Amy-Sue says:

Wow – that’s an impressive pace. Go, Kristin!
    I look forward to running with you all at the Escape!

7. You go girl! You do whatever makes you happy. You don’t need anyone else’s approval!

8. Yolanda C. says:

I’m glad that you found something that you enjoy so much Kristin. :) Hearing about your running & marathons encourages me to want to be more active. I’m sure it is a good example for your kids too. :)

9. Jen D. says:

WOW!!! Look at you go! Thanks for inspiring many of us to get running. I’m doing my first 5K since college this Sunday, and have you to thank. Also due to your inspiration, have signed up for a sprint distance triathlon on Thanksgiving day (and have been training ;). Will be running with you all in spirit for the Escape 5K. Wish I could be there to give a big high-five!

I’m so excited to see all you gals running! And a Thanksgiving Day triathlon sounds AWESOME (Talk about earning your turkey).

My only planned official run will be the Manic Mommies 5K and the Disney Princess Half-Marathon, but I’m going try to squeeze in a couple 10K between now and then.