Since increasing my athletic endeavors this summer, I have often said that one of the extra benefits is that our children, and more specifically, our daughter, could see mom being strong and doing something physical. But it wasn’t until last weekend that I really saw how much my new running activities were influencing Sophie.

On Saturday, after running 3+ miles and taking a shower, I really wanted to drive to our local farmers market. But as I grabbed my pocketbook and keys, our daughter, who had traded her regular weekend garb of dress and white patent leather shoes for running shorts and “tumblin’ tank” sent to us by ivivva athletica, looked at me like I was crazy.

Where, she wanted to know, were my sneakers? Hadn’t I said we could run to the market?

For a moment my body and brain screamed for me to convince her that, given how she had been suffering from a cold for the last two days, she really should take it easy. But my more rational side won out, realizing that I was being presented with an amazing opportunity to encourage and reward the kids for being active.

10 minutes later we were on the road, running/walking the 1.85 miles from our house to the market. On the run we talked about setting small goals (just run to the next telephone pole), why her heart was beating so fast, and how, if she and her brother got to the point they could run 1 mile without stopping, I would bring them to Disney World for the runDisney Kids Race (little does she know they are already signed up).

Of course runners need support. With a backpack full of G2, Anders lead the way on his bicycle, stopping along the way to provide refreshment breaks. And daddy, who arrived home from a bike ride just as we left the house, drove to the farmers market to pick us up.

I have to admit, I’m already looking forward to next Saturday to see if we can get her AND her brother to run again.

Tagged with:

15 Responses to Snapshot: Run Sophie Run

1. Kathie says:

Awesome!

2. Lisa says:

That’s awesome!

3. Sarah says:

I’m so happy that you took Sophie on her first run. You are a good mom for taking the time to run with her. I too just took my 5 yr old for his first “run/walk” this weekend up to his elementary school. It was so much fun to share my hobby with him along with sharing some special one-on-one time with him.

4. Kathleen says:

That’s so great!!!

5. Michelle says:

That is awesome! I’m a runner (or at least I try to be) and my husband used to cycle a loooonnnnggg time ago – way before I met him. After a health scare about a month ago, he bought a bike all the gear and is now changing his way of life for the best. Last Sunday, we joined Lifetime Fitness as he wants to be healthy for the kids and do more active things with them. I too, hope that this shows our children how to be healthy and active! Our kids are almost 4 and almost 7!

6. Fincastle Mom says:

My daughter (7) loves to run – although it’s mostly randomly around the playground. This year our schedule will allow her to stay after school for “running club” – training for a local 5k run/walk. When I signed her up, I told her this year that Mom would train in the gym, we would run together on the weekends and we would go to the race together. This will be my first 5k, and my first “run” since the mandatory mile in grade school and high school – but I’m looking forward to something special to do with my daughter. It is great inspiration for me, too, since my gym attendance had really fallen off lately.

7. Christi says:

My husband and I have been training for our first marathon this fall. It has definitely had a positive impact on our children (3 and 6). Both kids now beg to go for a “family run” and we really have a great time doing this family activity. We take our fair share of “pause breaks” along the way, but they’ve both done fantastic. Our 6 year old is signed up for a Kids Marathon in our area (http://grandrapidsmarathon.com/kids/) that will finish on the adult finish line the day before our marathon. It has been amazing to watch them change right along with us!

8. Geli says:

How beautiful!

9. Devin says:

That’s so great! I can’t get my daughter, who is 7, to run yet, but truth be told I do not love running. But, I’m trying to make it look fun! If you (or anyone else) is interested in a North Shore 5k or 1 mile family run, we are holding one to support the playground we are trying to build at my kids’ school in Peabody, MA
    Facebook: Friends of the Welch School Playground, or to register go to http://www.pumpedforlife.net and click on Welch School 5k

10. Amy-Sue says:

That’s fantastic! I just went for a run with my son this weekend (after months of him not being interested) and it was awesome. By the end he decided it was a race and he sprinted down our street, taking first first place. LOL.

11. Jen D. says:

Awesomesauce!!

12. KellyB says:

Awesome – she looks like a runner.

13. Stacy says:

Love it!! My 2-yr old has been running laps around the kitchen island inside saying “I’m racing” or sometimes “it’s not a race I’m just exercising” (but asks me to cheer for her in either case.) I started running just a couple months ago, did just 1 5K & it’s already impacting my daughters. A great feeling!

14. Becky S. says:

Have you heard of a program called Girls On The Run? http://www.girlsontherun.org. It starts in 3rd grade. My daughter joined this year, and they meet after school twice a week for an hour and a half of running and “girl power” type discussions and activities. It’s all about self-esteem, good body image, being a good friend, and running. At the end of the 10 week program they do a fun 5k race. You’d make a great coach for it when Sophie gets to 3rd grade. My daughter just started, and can already run over 2 miles, and she’s beaming when I pick her up. It’s also motivated me to dust off my running shoes and hit the treadmill, but it will take me a while to get up to 2 miles!