My traditional two-week break in the summer has always felt essential for me to retain my sanity and sense of humor during the rest of the year. While one week of vacation is good, two weeks gives me time to wind down, refresh, relax and recharge.

This year felt more luxurious because we had a week “off” while the kids attended overnight camp. A week where we didn’t have to worry about where the kids were, what they were doing, or how they were going to get there. A week that ended with us “escaping” for a grown ups only vacation on our own.

Looking back, here were the highlights:

We went swimming – We are not beach people. Until last week when we spent 4+ hours every day hanging out on a beach on Hilton Head. The water was warm (86? 88?), the sand was smooth, and the weather was perfect.

I bought a hat – My straw hat from the grocery store is ridiculous. And I loved wearing it very single day.

We rode bikes – There is really only one way to get around Hilton Head – by bicycle. The bikes are big, have one speed, and use foot brakes (like a child’s bike). While the saddle was a bit “chafey,” I became attached to my bicycle and am dying to get something similar (maybe with a little more style and a few more speeds).

I discovered key lime pie – I have never liked key lime pie. Don’t ask me why, it just wasn’t my thing. Until I tried the pie from Market Street Cafe. Homemade and heavenly, we went back just for dessert. And pitas. Our friend said he’d be happy if he could order pitas and pie crust.

I read Game of Thrones – Looking at the first book in the series, Steve asked me if I was reading the dictionary. I consumed the second during our vacation because my idea of getting away is reading.

I went running – I ran to coffee. I ran through the Sea Pines Forest Reserve. I ran down the beach. Not only is running so much more enjoyable when the terrain is flat, but it also allowed me to lounge guilt free the rest of the day.

We visited Savannah – We walked the squares, saw where Forrest Gump at with his box of chocolate and where “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” was filmed. We ate at the Pink House, drank on a roof top, and bought half-price jewelry. We also visited our Escape hotel – it’s beautiful!

I checked my e-mail – I did. I admit it. But with my recent promotion and all the work we had going on, I didn’t feel comfortable completely disconnecting. But for the most part I stayed quiet, just watching what was going on and answering questions when needed.

Through out the week we laughed. And ate. And drank. And shopped.

It was almost hard to believe we had another week of vacation scheduled!

12 Responses to What I did on my vacation – Week 1

1. Eileen says:

You both looks marvelous. It is hard to believe that you have had 2 children. Taking care of your marriage is the best gift you can give your children. This is advice coming from an old wise woman who loves to listen to your podcast…lol.

I must admit I am somewhat jealous. While we have had a vacation this summer, it was to Florida for a family wedding, a few days in theme parks and a few days with the in laws. I would truly treasure an opportunity for a real off week!~

3. Joanne says:

I just came back from an extended trip overseas, and I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation. Yours sounds so much more relaxing.

4. Shauna says:

Never had a vacation with my hubby. 12 years and not one. Just to stay at the Inlaws and see his kids :(
    It looks like heaven on earth! And wowwy look at you in a bikini!
    I was so hoping to come to this years escape BUT flights are around $800!
    Plus registration $160 US? Hotel around $300 plus if I want to sightsee and EAT, well looks like I’m out. I’m gutted cause I’m feeling like this mig just be the last one.

5. Darn Kristin — you look GOOD!!!

6. Shawn says:

Smokin’ hot mama in that bikini, girl! Loved this post. Sounds like you had a great vacation!

7. Kim says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Hilton Head! It was my first solo vacation post-divorce. I had been many times before, having gone to grad school near Savanaha! I love that even when my kids were 9 & 6, they could walk from the beach back to the condo together while I lounged on the beach. We rode bikes every day, it is an awesome place!

I am glad you enjoyed it. I also agree with the others, you look fabulous!

You look amazing!! I think I need to up my runs!! Thanks for fitting in the podcasts when you can! They make my runs a bit more enjoyable!!

9. Catherine says:

Just to echo everyone, you look fabulous! We go to Hilton Head every summer with our three boys and are headed there in two weeks. It is a great family vacation spot, but it might be an even better place for a couple traveling without their kids! We went to Savannah once with the kids while there, but they were miserable!

10. [...] am wrapping up two weeks of summer vacation – the first spent away with friends (and without children), the second at home taking a [...]

11. Thanks gals! I will say, this is probably the best picture I’ve ever had of me in a bathing suit. Thinking of framing it for my office, but realized that might be a bit strange.

I wouldn’t be photographed in my 2-piece suit, never mind post it on our blog. You’ve got guts! Well, that and a flat belly…