Today’s snapshot was taken by a stranger using my old point-and-shoot camera, but despite the red eye and haze, I want to blow it up and frame it to hang in my office because today was a very good day.

Several weeks ago I registered our family for the 2nd annual Spectacle Island 5K, Kids Fun Run & 3K Walk, organized by the Boston Harbor Island Alliance. The plan had been that after taking an early morning ferry to the island, the kids and I would run, spend the rest of the day on the island with Steve, and head home in the afternoon.

But then the forecast called for rain. Lots and lots of rain.

With Anders recovering from a bad case of poison ivy, and Steve less than enthusiastic about standing in the rain, Sophie and I decided that we’d leave the boys behind and head to the islands with backpack fulls of extra clothing (in ziploc bags) prepared to run.

After arriving on the island I went first, running twice around Spectacle Island in the pouring rain. At times the wind coming off the island blew so strongly that the rain actually “fell” horizontally, and hit my skin so painfully I was convinced it was hailing. My sneakers quickly filled with water, but I managed to finish the race in just over 30 minutes, averaging slightly under a 10 minute mile, and I didn’t stop to walk.

My Girl Scout co-leader finished much faster than I did, actually winning the race!

Then it was Sophie’s turn to run. She and my co-leader’s daughters ran 1/2 mile, up and down a hill, in the rain – girl power!

While we didn’t end up having our day on the island I had planned – we did have a great time. Not only did I have quality time with my daughter, but she also got to play with one of her best buddies from school, and I was able to hang out with new friends (and enjoy a beer with them on the ferry home).

I also reached two of my personal running goals – completing a 5K AND 3.1 miles without walking.

As I said – a very good, very wet day.

My new t-shirt from the b Positive Project - given to me by a friend.

14 Responses to Snapshot: Running in the rain

1. kc says:

you go girls!! exciting!!

2. Katheryn says:

Congratulations! Great job to you and Sophie!

3. Nicole says:

Awesome! Makes me wonder if there’s ever been a Girl Scout 5K or Walkathon …? I see you planning one in the future!

4. Jesse says:

You are teaching very valuable lessons to your daughter that will stick with her throughout her lifetime and in turn affect her own children, your grandkids! Congrats on finishing the race and for having a wonderful attitude toward life. P.S. I always felt running in the rain was more fun with all the puddles to splash through and all.

5. Wendi says:

Way to go!!!

6. Annika says:

Hey,
    Good for you!!! I started running 3 yrs ago and ran my first (full) marathon in march. Now, like you, I am training for a tri. And I feel like I have a training buddy!!!!

Keep up the good work. Btw, that is a very respectable time for a 5k ( in horrid conditions no less)

7. Tracey says:

AWESOME! Good job on going, running in the rain, and checking off a couple of goals at the same time!

I am telling you, you are way faster as a runner than I! But, this is one of those things that qualifies you as a runner. Rain, sleet, hot, cold….you got out the door!

I LOVE the girl power of the day!

9. David says:

Great job I also ran the 5k with both my sons Hunter12 and Camden 11. We had a blast. Cam was the dominator in the rase crossing at 29-20 comming in 1st for his class and Hunter followed only by 18 seconds behind coming in 3rd in class Dad finished 31 minutes. See you next year.

10. Nichole says:

Kristin! I am in awe! You are definitely a runner now! That is a GREAT time for your first 5K! You rock! Congrats to you and Sophie!!

The only running I did in the rain yesterday was into Wegman’s from the parking lot. And it was hailing at the time.

Slug.

Congrats to you and Sophie!

12. Sarah says:

Way to go Kristin and Sophie! I’m so proud of you both. I’m very impressed with your time for your first 5k! That’s a really good time (faster than me). What a wonderful bonding event for you two. At the last Escape, I remember you scoffing at me for listening to your podcast while running. Now look at you! Congratulations!

13. Rebel Hurd says:

Fantastic! Love the picture of you both in the rain. Memories were made that day.

14. Geli says:

I love the picture! Well done to both of you :)

I live in Oregon so have come to love running in the rain.