We’re catching up on the latest headlines – including how commuting will kill us; attachment parenting; bake sale bans; sun tanning for grownups – and other random items.

This episode is sponsored by Sleep Number. To find a Sleep Number store near you, call 1-800-995-4177. And please, be sure to tell them the Manic Mommies sent you.

Manic Mommies is supported in part by Audible.com. Visit AudibleTrial.com/ManicMommies for your free 30-day trial and download. Check out our Pinterest board for recommendations.

Links mentioned: Time Magazine article | Huffington Post | Long Commutes | Bake Sale Ban

Listen: iTunes Zune mp3

7 Responses to Podcast: Detachment Parenting

1. Kathleen B says:

Erin – thank you for the reminder of why I moved away from Syracuse. Yes, I miss the no traffic but I do not miss the two seasons of Winter and Construction. You made me laugh – thanks!

2. Rebekah says:

I totally agree with you on the magazine cover. I do believe in breast feeding, I breast fed all 3 of mine as long as i could (or was necessary) Alittle past the age of 1 seemed to be the time they simply lost interest and moved on to the cup. But I think that when mom’s breast feed to the age where it becomes a memory for the child is alittle weird. I don’t want to think about when this kid gets to be 9 or 10 and even in junior high, looking at this picture in his babybook? just alittle strange to me. i don’t criticize mom’s for breastfeeding longer,but i don’t believe it has to be plastered across a magazine.

3. Melanie S says:

I totally get the bed thing and getting into fresh sheets. I hate not being the first one to get into the freshly made bed. I also am that way with peanut butter too. I have been known to go bats#$t crazy if I don’t get to be the first one to use a new jar of peanut butter.

4. Frannie says:

I believe that her website is called “I am not the babysitter” because she adopted an African American child. And I am guessing that people always believe that she is his babysitter not his mom.

5. Ashley says:

Just listening to the podcast today and I wish you guys would have looked at her blog about being a mother to an African American child, instead of assuming she’s apologizing for being a young mom. I think the former would be a really interesting topic for a show.

I agree Ashley – it probably would make for an interesting show. As you may remember, at the time we tried to look at it, but perhaps predictably, the site was down (probably from all the traffic she received as a result of the Time article).

7. Holly M. says:

On the issue of breastfeeding I guess it’s up to the child really. I understand that many mothers enjoy the bonding that comes with breastfeeding but they should also attempt to push their child to be slightly more independent by getting them to eat food more often, this will leave it up to the child to decide when to stop and move on to just eating food. I agree with Rebekah though, this cover shoot could potentially be quite uncomfortable for the child to see later on in life.