You know that moment when you begin rocking out to a song in the car, totally relating to the lyrics of a tune that was clearly written for someone much, much younger than yourself, despite the fact that you are a nearly-40 year old mother with a full-time job, two kids, a mortgage, two car payments and too many things on her to-do list?

Admit it. You totally know what I’m talking about.

Today, when the song “We Are Young” started playing, I had the totally opposite reaction. In fact, as the lyrics played through my head “so let’s set the world on fire, we can burn brighter that the sun…” I literally wanted to flip my radio the bird.

Because that makes so much sense.

But today I felt stressed out, stretched thin and overwhelmed. And tonight I have a migraine. So we won’t be setting the world on fire. Instead, we’ll be popping a few Excedrine and heading to bed.

Maybe we can set the world on fire tomorrow. Or next week.

14 Responses to We are (not) young

1. kristina says:

i take it this may be a bad time to confirm that you guys are going to change your podcast schedule to every other week(?). i’m so going to miss my weekly fix (even though i am ironically not a mother nor working at the moment). i’m still manic, though.

recently, one of you asked us what one of our favorite episodes was (as a way, i am assuming, to commemorate the 300th episode). i wanted to add one of mine (i have many): the april 1st trip kristin and aunders took to rochester and kristin’s story about steve and his dental work. “this was only a test. in the case of a real emergency, beeeeeeeeep!” that had me in tears.

also the one where you guys talk for the first time after erin’s knee surgery and she recounts talking to the surgical team about her “dozens of fans.” “if you screw this up…” LOL. please keep the laughter coming- love you guys.

2. Melissa says:

:) I feel you. Ah, the naivete of youth.

3. Pamela says:

I love/hate that song. It’s a great song. And I love to sing along. And I love to pretend I feel young. But I don’t. So as I sing along and pretend I feel young, I’m also felling sad. Because [singing] “I Am Oo–ooo-ooold!”

4. Michelle says:

So funny ~ I just had a conversation with my son tonight about this song. I told him I needed to change the lyrics to ‘I am Middle-aaaaaaaged’.

5. Rachel says:

I love that song! Both the regular and Glee versions. And I sing along loudly and proudly. And I’m almost 33.

6. Olga T says:

Where did you manage to find excedrin? I have been looking for a month now, it has been recalled.

7. Kelly says:

I’m not sure what it means that I love that song but have never listened to the lyrics…probably another sign of getting old.

Really? Oh crap. I stocked up MONTHS ago on the stuff. Guess I should check the bottles (although, I will say, stuff worked fine last night).

9. Stephanie M says:

I love this song. Although I am young, I have nothing in common with what they are singing about I almost feel bad about rocking out with the kids to it.

10. Jennifer K says:

I have had conflicting feelings about this song. Really, it’s a love/hate relationship for me.

I found myself singing along one day without really listening to the lyrics. Then, the next day I caught them toward the beginning of the song. The guy admits to having given his girlfriend a scar that she’s trying to forget about but that he keeps having to apologize for. How can that be right?

I too find myself flipping the bird at my radio when it comes on because it appears to me that this girl is staying with a guy that clearly beats her or harms her in some way (enough to make a scar)? I don’t know…someone tell me I’m wrong and I’m hearing the lyrics incorrectly or interpreting them totally wrong.

11. Meg says:

37 yo mother of 2. I don’t even know the song you refer to.
    Yikes. I’m old.

12. Meg says:

Wait. Yes i do know the song (as it precedes motherhood).

13. Pamela says:

I’m sure this isn’t the only parody out there, but I saw it today and thought of this post.

14. Jodi says:

My kids (all 3) are totally embarrassed when I start belting out this tune with them. I am 42 but still sometimes think I’m 25. Sorry kids. :)