It was my nightmare – walking into my house in the middle of a work day, surprising my husband who was . . .

Playing video games, oblivious to the squalor in the kitchen.

What? What did you think I was going to say?

On the drive back to the office I stewed, not about the video games (it was his lunch break) but about the kitchen. I felt my temperature start to rise as I recalled the crusty patches of dried oatmeal, the crumbs, the dirty dishes. I thought about all the times and ways I’ve tried to explain why a clean kitchen is important to me. I pictured my kids coming home to same said kitchen and sitting down at that disgusting countertop to do their homework.

Oh how I stewed.

But then, I read the status updates of friends, all mentioning prayers and thoughts for our friend Audrey McClelland and her husband Matt who was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery last night. And I watched the video she posted this morning, giving us all an update on Matt’s surgery, and got a lot of perspective.

Last night, while I was watching my son and husband perform “Whip My Hair” on Dance Central 2, Audrey was sitting in a hospital worrying about her husband. And today, while I’m at work and my husband is happily playing video games or doing who knows what around my house, she’s probably back at the hospital by her husband’s side.

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?

So to my husband I say – I know you didn’t see it, but sorry I got a little crazy. But please try to keep the kitchen cleaner.

And to Audrey I say, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for the perspective, and the reminder to appreciate every moment. I will be sending healing thoughts Matt’s way.

8 Responses to Perspective

Sending MM love her way….

2. Kristi says:

This absolutely puts things in perspective! Sending good thoughts to the McClelland family.

3. Patty says:

Talk about a jolt back to reality … and to what matters.
    I feel the same way when I read the family posts of the little Gaby who died of cancer a few months ago … 6 years old and gone in a few months.
    Then, I look at my girls and think … “mmmm …. this (insert behavior here) really does not matter !”

That said, you still deserve a clean kitchen !
    Good luck with the “battle” and I hope Audrey’s husband pulls through with flying colors.

4. Meghan says:

I’ve been a listener since your early days. This is my first post. Up until a year ago, I listened every day at work to your podcasts. I laughed with you as you talked about your antics and your quirky jabs at your husbands. I related to every irritating and loveable trait that your husbands had, in one way or another. I listened when they were allowed to ‘voice their side’ on the one show. I stopped listening last year. My husband lost his job and shot himself a week later. A month later, I lost my job. Now I am a Manic SINGLE Mommy to my 5 year old son. Perspective is indeed a powerful word. Your world can change in an instant. Remember it. I used to nit pick about the silliest things with my husband. Someone once told me that ‘criticism is a poorly worded request’. What good does it do to make yourself crazy about it? My husband would leave dishes out, empty soda cans on the counter… I would say ‘are you done with this?’, just being a smarty pants. I’d be happy to go back to those days…..

You don’t need to post this, I just thought it would help people appreciate ‘perspective’ a little more. Also, I’d love to see some more articles for woman (or men) like me, who are struggling to make the right decisions for their kids. I’m trying to start my own business out of my home, because with a child in kindergarten, I am unable to afford daycare to work a full-time job. It’s really tough. Just a thought… Thank you for all you do. I have enjoyed your humor, wit and well written blogs as well. And of course the RECIPES!! But seriously, thanks.

@Meghan, I don’t know what to say except thank you for sharing your story. We encourage you to check out http://sparkandhustle.com/ our favorite resource for women looking to start her own business. Best of luck and much happiness to you and your son.

@Meghan, I too thank you for your post. Starting my own private practice, so I am right there with you with new business venture. Sending you power and love of the MM as you continue on your journey.

7. Tina says:

@Meghan, my heart goes out to you…and another wonderful resource for starting a home business is Ally Loprete and her podcast “This Little Parent Stayed Home.” She is all about helping parents that want to work from home, and she does monthly coaching sessions free on the air. Check her out at http://www.toginet.com. I can’t say enough about how awesome she is! I listen to her (and Manic Mommies too, of course…now that I’ve discovered them recently!!) religiously!

8. Alyssa GF says:

@Meghan – My eyes are tearing up reading your post. Thank you ladies for giving me some perspective. I complain about the way my husband does the laundry, dishes, cooks, etc. But I can’t imagine my life without him. Thank you again. Meghan, I will pray for you and your son and success in your future endeavors.