It has been said “a picture is worth a thousand words…” (ever wondered where that phrase came from? Me too – so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Of course I have no idea if it’s accurate, just that it’s on the internet).

While I haven’t had a lot of time for blogging, I have been taking a lot of pictures. And, I’m determined in 2012 to take more, especially with my new camera. (Have I mentioned that I love my new camera?). Because busy or not, a girl has to have an interest that isn’t her work, and isn’t her family.

I’m not trying to “be” a photographer – I just want to “be” a girl (yes, I said girl, sometimes that’s just how I feel) who can take a decent picture that captures the moment. But to keep me honest, I thought I’d share some of my favorite pics through something I’m going to call “Sunday Snapshots.” My goal will be to post a photo that captured the week, or at least a moment I want to remember.

I’d like to say the photos will always be great – the teacher from my Nikon class said “great photographers take plenty of bad photos. They just don’t share them.” But let’s face it, sometimes it’s a photo, like the one below, taken on your iPhone that captures the moment best.

I took this picture at a red light on our drive to school. The moment may not seem like much, until you remember that  last year our son was diagnosed with dyslexia. Since then we’ve put together a team of teachers, tutors and others to help him not only learn how to read, but to learn how to love reading.

On this morning, he jumped out of the car to get a book he forgot in our other vehicle, and then sat quietly.

Reading. Voluntarily. Happily.

Tagged with:

15 Responses to Snapshot: Success

1. Awesome! What a great moment!

2. Kim says:

This brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart for both you and your son. What a truly joyous moment and I am so glad you stopped to take note. Thanks for sharing!

3. Patty says:

YESSS !!!!
    Can we ask what was the book ?

It’s the “Dragon of Doom” by Bruce Coville.

It’s one of several Dragon-themed reads kicking around the house.

5. Melissa says:

How awesome!!! ::big smiles::

6. Jen says:

What a proud moment for everyone involved in his success! So happy for you and thanks for sharing!

7. Brittany says:

Go, Anders! I am so happy for you and Steve… A definite pat-your-back moment! :)

8. Kristina says:

BRAVO!!! So incredibly happy to see this photo. This is a moment to treasure, a true ‘Kodak Moment’.

Congratulations Kristin.

9. AnnKing says:

This just shows what happens in a child’s life if all of the concerned adults are patient with his development. Not everyone speeds along the roads of life at the same speed.

10. Jeannine says:

Congratulations!!! It is so wonderful to see positive progress for the work by you, Anders, your family and “support staff.” I hope it continues!!

11. Heidi says:

This is so heart warming! I remember hearing that podcast where you spoke about your son’s dyslexia and feeling the heartache for you. My husband has dyslexia and since it can be hereditary I fear that our son could have it. It’s too soon, as he is only 15 months old, to tell if he has dyslexia but your openness about your situation helps alleviate my anxiety when you share moments like these. Thank you so much!

Gives me goosebumps….

13. Patty says:

Btw, your son is extremely handsome … you will need many locks on doors and windows very soon !

:-D

I am going to make sure my girls (7 and almost 9) don’t see this picture or we will be driving up from RI to visit you guys !

14. Angie says:

How wonderful, Kristin! Such a great moment to capture.

PS it’s alarming how grown he looks here =)

15. Nicole says:

BRAVO!! My son doesn’t have dyslexia but had trouble reading on in early grades. He finally found books that he enjoyed reading and often sits like your son for hours. I recommend: All Jude Watson star wars books – perfect for anders age, Rangers Apprentice series, and of course in a few years he can start the, Hunger games – my son started reading on your recommendation!