Lego head pinata

Today was my son’s 7th birthday party, a Lego-themed event I feel like we’ve been preparing for the past month. Anders came up with theme, and the ideas for the items I had to work on this past week – a Lego head piñata and birthday cake.

I have to admit, I was particularly proud of the piñata, which took me three days to create. This was only the second piñata I’ve ever created ( my first was for our son’s pirate party last year ), and I wasn’t quite sure how i would create the distinctive shape of a Lego minifig head. Then I found the solution during a visit to A.C. Moore – pre-shaped foam discs and a sheet of poster board.

Building blocks for the pinata

Using staples, glue and a roll of blue painter’s tape, I was able to create the basic shape. My goal was to come as close to the correct proportions, while still having enough room for the candy.
The pinata shapes up

Using a copy of the Boston Globe and a basic paper maiche recipe (1 part flour to 2 parts water), I covered the shape with two coats of paper. I made sure to include a hole at the top to allow us to fill the piñata, as well as a string for hanging.

With convenient fill hole

Two coats and all dry

Finally, I applied two coats of yellow paint, and using a black Sharpie marker, drew on the face (Anders chose the expression).

Finished Lego head pinata

There is no question I was a little sad that it was going to be beaten by a baseball bat – on the other hand, what am I going to do with a piñata hanging around the house?

Any last words?

Oh, and I did get to the cake too – four layers of cake plus a ton of yellow frosting!

Lego head cake

Tagged with:

42 Responses to Notes from a Lego Party

1. brenna says:

WOW, that pinata is impressive!!!! How did you do the facial expression so perfectly????

2. Niri says:

I love the pinata. we got a timer from the lego store that looks like it, and we use it for timeouts

3. Gina says:

oh fun! it was Jax’s birthday today too except we did Backyardigans! :) I’ll have to remember the Lego idea for next year!

4. Jessica says:

Totally awesome pinata! The cake rocks, too! you really did “do it all and then some” for this party!! Way to go, Kristin!

5. Darcy says:

That is wonderful! I love that idea – I just might have to ‘borrow’ it someday! :)

Happy Birthday Anders!

6. Amy says:

Very impressive!

7. Juliekaye says:

Kristin, you have been hiding your crafty skills! I am so impressed at your creativity, and also the final results. Great job!

Should we do a seminar on pinata construction at the Escape? Looks fantastic, and is that sun shining in Boston?

I used chalk to sketch out the face before using the sharpie. A google search for Lego head allowed to look at many options form him to choose from.

I did tell the other parents at the party that pinatas and cake are my only truly domestic skills.

10. Rachel says:

Nice job Kristin! If we had a GD tree in our yard I’d make one for my son’s birthday in September.

11. Lisa says:

That pinata is the coolest! I know how you feel about smashing it. I used to do the neatest birthday cakes for my kids’ birthday parties and it was a little wrenching to cut them up and eat them.

12. Jen says:

DS Kyle, 5, said “I want to go there!” when he saw the pics from Anders’ party. You get the prize for that pinata, and the cake looks great too. You rock!

13. Wow, that pinata and cake are amazing! I wish I had your creative ability. I may have to attempt that for our next party. Well, since it is in 2 weeks and we are in the process of moving back to the US, I will wait until December, the next bday.
    THanks for sharing!
    -Erin

14. Carissa says:

You are crafty, Kristin!! You really are!! You can’t fool us now!! ;) That is awesome!

15. Jill says:

Extremely cool! I love making stuff for my kids’ parties and having the other parent oh and ah! There must have been a lot of that going around! Awesome!!

16. Tommy scott says:

Great job Kristen! Just keep Erin shnocked on box wine, and the mother of the year award is all yours!

17. Carly says:

Love it! My C would definitely love that kind of pinata and party. May steal the idea!

18. Carrie says:

I LOVE the cake and pinata so much that I’m stealing it for my son’s birthday next week. :)

Question for ya…when the kids hit the pinata, did they break through the poster board?

The pinata eventually broke when the impact of the bat detached the poster board from the top part of the pinata.

20. Kristie says:

Love the pinata! Incredibly impressive Kristen!!! I would love pix and directions for the pirate pinata please! I have a pirate party coming up in August.

21. Jo Hailey says:

Thank you, I have been searching the internet and every store I could find for lego themed birthday party items for my sons birthday and this is exactly what I needed. I can only hope that mine comes out as good as yours did… Thank you again for posting this!!!!

22. Carla says:

Wow! Awesome pinata! I’m going to try to attempt to make the same one for my son’s 9th birthday party. So i’m assuming you had to carve on the inside of the discs to get the candy in.

I’ve been meaning to create a diagram. I had to carve through the top two discs to get the candy in. First I attached the foam rings to the top, so I could see where I needed the hole. Then I poked through the top discs with a pair of scissors.

24. Jen_A says:

While looking for Lego themed items for my son’s 7th bday party, I came across your pinata. LOVE it!!! I was wondering if you could tell me what size foam disks you used. Did you use 2 disks on each end? Thanks SO much for your help!! ~ Jen

25. Jen says:

This pinata is amazing! It’s just what I’ve been looking all over the internet for! I’m trying to copy it for my son’s party next week. One question, how did you round the edges of the discs? Or did you purchase them like that? I can’t tell from the picture.

26. Hi Jen! I used a serrated knife (like the kind you use to slice bread) to shave off the sharp edge of the hard foam disks. You don’t have to take off much to create the curve. Good luck! I can’t wait to see it!!

27. Jenny says:

Wow, I wish I would have seen this last year when I did a Lego party for my son. This year he wants a Ninja party, based on the Lego Ninjago so I think we will attempt this but with some sort of ninja scarf on the minifig head:)
    Great Job!!!

28. [...] piñata (for those who many not remember – I have made a pinata shaped like a tent, ladybug, Lego head, and pirate skull). Not only did I not necessarily have the time, we were also hosting the party at [...]

29. [...] I gently guide my kids towards themes like Ladybug Girl or Lego. Color me [...]

30. kim conlon says:

this may seem like a silly questions but once you wrapped the foam in the cardboard and newspaper how did you get it out?

This is so funny because I was talking to my husband today about my sons party next weekend and I told him I wanted to make a head pinata and a head cake and he acted like I was crazy! Thanks for the instructions because I will be following them this week :)

32. Veronica says:

Hello, LOVE the pinata idea and will be trying to make it for my sons birthday this April. I have all the supplies you showed, I was curious about the top and the whole. Did you leave it open after adding the candy? And what are the 2 smaller discs for? Are they used both on the bottom?

I always put the hole in the piñata as I’m building it – meaning, I paper macho “around” the hole. In the case of the Lego, the hole is pre-built as I used foam discs to create the top and the bottom.

Good luck!

34. I LOVE your pinata! I’ve been brainstorming ideas for a Lego pinata and realized I don’t need to reinvent the wheel- I guessed there’d be some awesome Lego pinata tutorials out there and I was right. Thank you!

35. Tamara says:

I LOVE your Lego Pinata! I’m trying to see what things i would need to pull off a lego themed party for my son. He too is a Ninjago fan, but i figure if i can incorporate all things LEGO then it’d be all good. :) I have a ? about your process. I’ve never messed w/paper mache. Did you have to remove the foam & stuff or just kept it in? Any other pointers you can pass on would be great too! :) Many kuddos for your creativeness!!

Hi Tamara!

The only time you remove the “innards” is when you use a balloon (like the King Pig pinata). Hard stuffs like styrofoam, posterboard, etc, stay in the pinata. That’s why I used styrofoam rings for the the top – it gave me a hole to use for putting in the candy.

Hope that helps! Your goal is a pinata that is tough enough to take a few whacks from a bat, but will eventually fall apart!

- Kristin

37. Tamara says:

I’m researching the pinata head as a thought. Yours looks FANTASTIC! I was reading your other comments & I hadn’t thought about the removing of the foam. Do you actually take it out or keep it in? I’ve never attempted paper mache, so this is new to me.

38. RoxyF says:

This is too funny that my son’s 7th birthday is coming up and we’re doing a Lego party as well, possibly with a pinata too, so thanks for the inspiration! You did a great job!

39. Your lego party/cake/food has been featured on BEST OF THE WEB LEGO PARTIES CAKES AND FOOD check it out and grab yourself a button.

40. Lauren says:

We are doing a Lego themed party for my step son’s 7th birthday next week. I’m quite excited about the pinata although everyone else thinks i should just buy one! I just have a question as to how to molded the shape? any assistance is appreciated.

41. Kristen says:

THIS IS AWESOME! I’ve been wreaking my brain trying to figure out how to get the basic shape and still have it break open. The only thing I came up with was casting a propane tank, but that definitely would not work!

Looks like a trip to the craft store is in order for me today! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

42. [...] got this idea and pattern from Manic Mommies, but I wasn’t able to find all the Styrofoam shapes and sizes so mine doesn’t look [...]